Boiler Shipments Buck Heating/Cooling Equipment Decline
> Industry News
With few exceptions, manufacturers' shipments of a broad range of heating and cooling equipment declined in December, continuing the slide of recent months, according to a report from the Air-Conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration Institute.
Cast iron boilers, however, were the bright spot. Shipments of gas-fired steam boilers rose 16% in the fourth quarter, compared to the previous year. Shipments of gas-fired water boilers increased 6% versus the same period a year ago. But oil-fired steam boiler shipments for the quarter fell 28%, year-over-year. Oil-fired hot water boilers declined by the same percentage amount.
Factory shipments of other heating/cooling equipment included:
- Central Air Conditions & Air-Source Heat Pumps:
-28% in December; -9% y-t-d
- Heat Pumps: -16% in December; -2% y-t-d
- Gas-fired Warm Air Furnaces: -19% in December; -18%
- Oil-fired Warm Air Furnaces: -28% in December; -29% y-t-d
- Residential Gas Water Heaters: -19% in December; -9% y-t-d
- Residential Electric Water Heaters: N/A in December; -6% y-t-d
- Commercial Gas Water Heaters: -29% in December; -2% y-t-d
- Commercial Electric Water Heaters: -22% in December; +1% y-t-d
For the full report, visit www.ahrinet.org